What is gate valve used for?
- By:Lithuanian Trade
Gate valves are a type of valve commonly used to control the flow of fluid in a pipeline. They have a sliding gate or wedge mechanism that moves up and down to either block or allow the passage of fluid. Here are some key uses and applications of gate valves:
1. On/Off Flow Control: Gate valves are primarily used for on/off flow control. When the gate is fully raised, it allows fluid to flow freely through the valve, and when the gate is fully lowered, it blocks the flow completely. This feature makes gate valves suitable for applications where the flow needs to be shut off completely or where there is a requirement for infrequent adjustment of the flow.
2. Full Flow Capacity: Gate valves are designed to offer minimum resistance to fluid flow when fully open, providing full flow capacity. They have an unobstructed straight-through passage, which reduces pressure drop and minimizes turbulence, making them suitable for applications where low pressure loss and high flow rates are important.
3. Isolation and Sealing: Gate valves provide reliable isolation and sealing when closed. The gate slides between the valve seats, creating a tight seal and preventing leakage. This makes gate valves suitable for applications where a secure closure is required to prevent the flow of fluids or gases.
4. Large Diameter Applications: Gate valves are commonly used in applications that involve large pipe diameters. They are well-suited for handling fluids and gases in industries such as oil and gas, water and wastewater treatment, power plants, chemical processing, and mining. Gate valves are available in various sizes to accommodate different pipe diameters.
5. Non-Throttling Applications: Gate valves are not typically used for precise flow control or throttling applications. They are primarily designed for fully open or fully closed positions. When partially open, gate valves may experience vibrations and erosion due to the fluid flow passing through the partially exposed gate edges. Therefore, gate valves are not recommended for applications that require fine flow adjustment.
6. High Temperature and Pressure Applications: Gate valves are suitable for applications that involve high temperature and pressure conditions. They can handle a wide range of fluid temperatures and pressures, making them a reliable choice for demanding industrial environments.
Gate valves have a simple and robust design, which contributes to their durability and ability to handle various fluids and applications. However, it's important to consider specific requirements and consult with professionals when selecting and installing gate valves to ensure they are suitable for the intended application.